Monday, July 29, 2013

Refreshing Honeydew Mint Sorbet


Check out this recipe and more on the new site!

Just when I thought there was no way we would make it to the beach this Summer, the universe surprised me with an opportunity to spend a few days on a beautiful island.  It was pure bliss.  As a child I took it for granted that every Summer we went on a beach holiday.  Now as an adult, I see how special it is to find time in our busy schedules and money in our limited budgets to spend time together in such an idyllic place as the seaside.  For that I am overwhelmingly grateful.

One blissful thing about the coast is the plenitude of fresh produce.  The warm, moist climate means tons of local fruits, veggies, and herbs.  And in the summer sun and heat, produce is exactly what I want.

To stay cool I made this incredibly simple and refreshing Honeydew Mint Sorbet.  The ingredients can't get any simpler: purely honeydew and fresh mint.  The result is an amazing and cooling dessert with absolutely no guilt.  I kept thinking to myself while eating it that maybe I had added a touch to much sweetener.  Then I remembered I had added none! The honeydew was just that divine.

The fact that this dessert recipe has no added sugars is enough to convince me to make it, but the benefits of honeydew and mint are persuasive as well.  Honeydew is rich in Vitamin C and copper which are both important for healthy skin (amongst other things).  And mint is an excellent source of Vitamins A and C.  Another reason to eat mint after a meal is that it can be soothing to the digestive system.  Plus, if you are at the beach, the honeydew will rehydrate while the mint cools - the perfect Summer combination.

So embrace the simplicity and enjoy this sweet healthy treat!

Refreshing Honeydew Mint Sorbet


Ingredients:

1 honeydew melon, sliced
1 oz. fresh mint leaves

1. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

2. Either follow the instructions on your ice cream maker (the house we stayed at had one) or put the mixture in a container in the freezer.

stirring occasionally for a few hours until desired texture is achieved.  If left too long, it will become too solid.  In this case, either scrape with a fork for a granita style dessert or put the bowl in the fridge to thaw a bit. 

I should add:
I'm not much of a drinker but my boyfriend, Sam, added a pinch of coconut rum to his and it was delicious.  I still prefer the unadulterated version, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment