Check out this recipe and more on the new site!
I'm finally coming up for air. This summer has been a whirlwind. Between a luxurious beach trip, the first ever Naked Fig Dinner Party, a new nutrition client, and my regular cooking gig, I've been super busy. All this has been incredibly chaotic (albeit fulfilling and fun), and so it feels really blissful to sit peacefully by the river while I write this.
The Naked Fig Dinner Party was truly a blast. It was such an honor to share what I love to do with such a wonderful group of people. We dined outside, enjoying great food, wine, and amazing company. Inside, the talented Madeline Moore transformed the house into an art gallery for guests to view and purchase her work. Needless to say, we took home quite a few beautiful pieces. Overall, the event was a huge success and I can't wait to throw another one!
The best part of the dinner was definitely the dessert - a raw cherry pistachio tart served with whipped coconut cream and stewed cherries. I cannot begin to describe how delicious this was. You could just take my word for it, but if I were you, I'd make this one. Seriously.
This dessert tastes so indulgent, yet it doesn't have any refined sugar or flour. And it is gluten and dairy free too! Instead it is packed with fruits and nuts. Aside from being delicious and the epitome of Summer, cherries have anti-inflammatory properties. And both cherries and pistachios are antioxidant rich foods. Because the cake is raw, all the nutrition is intact. That means that this amazing dessert may help boost your immune system as well as your mood!
Raw Cherry Pistachio Tart
2/3 cup raw shelled pistachios*
1/2 cup raw walnuts
2/3 cup dates, chopped
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
*It can be hard to find raw pistachios. If you can't find them, it is ok to use roasted. Or if you really want it to be raw, use raw walnuts or pecans.
2 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
2 tbsp water
Juice of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup raw honey
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 cup pitted cherries
1 cup pitted cherries, sliced
2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
1. Put all crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse. If the crust sticks together in your hands it is perfect. If not, add water or honey one tbsp at a time until desired texture is achieved.
2. Line a 9" spring form pan with plastic wrap. Press crust mixture into the bottom of the pan making as even a layer as possible. Put pan in the refrigerator while you work on the filling. Rinse the food processor.
3. Put all the filling ingredients except for the cherries into the food processor and mix until smooth. This may take longer than you expect, but just keep blending until creamy.
4. Pour about 2/3 of the filling on to the crust layer. Use a spatula to spread and create an even layer.
5. Add cherries to the remaining 1/3 of the filling in the food processor and blend until smooth (and bright pink/purple!). Pour all of the filling on top of the first filling layer and use spatula to make the layer even and smooth.
6. Place in the freezer until solid, about 2-3 hours. Move to the refrigerator about 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
1. Put sliced cherries and coconut palm sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. Stirring frequently, cook until all the juices are released and cherries are tender.
Slice the cake and top with whipped coconut cream and stewed cherries.
You can find a how-to on whipped coconut cream in the Raw Avocado Tart recipe.