Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Summer Corn Salad


Check out this recipe and more on the new site!

Whoa.  Summer is coming to a close and I haven't even shared one of my favorite summer dishes.  One reason I haven't posted this is that I've been distracted by weather.  I'll have plenty of time to work on the site when it's cold outside and I'm trapped indoors.  Right? But another reason is this nagging idea of perfection.  Sometimes I fall into a spiral of thinking that I should wait until I have higher quality photos, create more complex recipes, or find some other excuse not to post a recipe.  And what happens when I think like that is nothing.  I stop creating and I stop sharing.  It's time to overcome that idea of perfection and share with you all a recipe that is not elegant and complex, but simple and beautiful.  And the pictures may be low quality iPhone shots, but the important thing is to keep creating, keep sharing, and stop being so hard on myself.  I feel better already.

This recipe is incredibly simple to make, yet crazy delicious.  Whenever I make this, people ask for the recipe or beg me to make it again.  And while it's still summer, I am trying to take advantage of eating these delicious seasonal foods while I can.

The star of this recipe is fresh raw corn.  I have always loved the taste of raw corn.  It is sweet and juicy and not nearly as starchy as cooked corn.  I especially love putting it on vegetarian tacos. Such great texture and flavor!

But there is one major concern when it comes to corn: GMO's.  Almost all corn sold in the United States is genetically modified.  And currently there is no requirement that GMO products be labelled.  But there is hope for those of us who would rather trust Mother Nature than corporately funded scientists to grow our food.  Organic standards do not allow GMO's and some stores label their corn as non-GMO.  Consider your power as a consumer: every purchase you make is a vote in favor of or against GMO's.  Which way are you voting?

I found some beautiful red corn and mixed colors of cherry tomatoes that made for a beautiful rainbow of a dish.  But the yellow corn and red tomatoes taste just as good, so don't sweat it if you can't find red corn.  Just make sure you get non-GMO corn and get cooking before the summer vegetable season is over!

Ingredients:

2 ears of corn (non-GMO-we've talked about this)
1 avocado, diced
2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp each)

1. Cut the corn kernels off the cob and place in a bowl with avocado, tomatoes, and walnuts.

2. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper and stir.






5 comments:

  1. nice salad ;) I usually do something like these for tacos (either raw or cooked) but I normally roast the walnuts ( or almonds or sunflower seeds or a mix) and add some tamari or miso, its a boost of flavor, I think this would also work in your lovely salad
    With love
    InĂªs F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I forgot to tell you that I´m so glad you post the iPhone and non fancy recipe, I´m always doing the same thing, I have tones of recipes in my computer waiting to be posted just because I´m waiting for these and that.... Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tamari/miso idea! Sounds delicious. And thanks for the encouragement. It is actually really freeing to post the so-so pictures and see that it's not that bad after all. Love and gratitude, C.

      Delete
  3. Yeees please overcome all kind of fear. Your posts are so lovely and your pics are beautiful! Keep sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katrin! That means a lot coming from you!

      Delete